With the success of the MCU and with more people than ever invested in comic book movies it's easy to forget that not even twenty years ago the landscape was very different. Comic book movies were seen as a joke and in 2003 and 2004 we got two of the worst comic books movies ever made; Daredevil and Catwoman. In today's special April Fools Battle we'll be pitting the two titular characters against each other in a fight to the death. Will curiosity kill the cat? Or will Daredevil be left blind as a bat? And more importantly who will prove their film is slightly less crappy as; Daredevil: Blind superhero, fighting against crime in the notorious Hell's Kitchen.
Catwoman: Feline anti-hero, searching for answers behind her new found powers.
Who is deadliest.
Daredevil is the alter-ego of Matt Murdoch. Matt was blinded by toxic waste as a child however this ended up enhancing his other senses to a much greater degree. His father was a washed up former boxer and encouraged Matt to become a lawyer rather than following his career in boxing. However after his father was murdered by mobsters for refusing to throw a fight Matt decided he was going to fight crime directly as well as in the courts, working as a lawyer by day and by night donning his Daredevil costume and fighting criminals in the street.
- Billy Club: Daredevil utilises a pair of Billy Clubs as his primary weapon. It is about the length of his leg and can be split in two to create two smaller clubs connected by a wire, which he has also been shown using to choke someone. It can also be used as a projectile weapon, with Daredevil pressing a button which launches one half of the club out. He also uses the club to aid his echolocation, banging it against objects to create a sound wave to better "see" the area.
- Grappling Hook: Daredevil uses a grappling hook to better traverse the city, allowing him to cover greater distances and lift himself into the air to get to advantageous positions.
Powers and Abilities
- Enhanced Senses: Since he was blinded as a child Daredevil's other senses grew much stronger to compensate for his lack of vision. These senses include;
- Enhanced Hearing: Daredevil's most pronounced sense is his sense of hearing. Daredevil can hear every noise in roughly a city block sized area although he is clearly able to hone in on certain sounds, such as the sound of a heartbeat or the clicking of a sniper rifle from a rooftop away. He appears to use a form of echolocation to "see" the area around him with sound-waves coming off objects creating a brief flash of the area. When it is raining his echolocation makes so that he basically "see" a person as normal, as the raindrops create constant sound-waves. The obvious weakness of this power is that very loud noises can temporarily disable his sense of echolocation as well as causing him physical pain. He can also struggle to sense an opponent who is standing still although as previously mentioned by using his billy club he can create a soundwave which can reveal their location.
- Enhanced Smell: Daredevil also gained a superb sense of smell, easily able to sniff out different condiments and distinguish people via their own unique smell.
- Enhanced Touch: Daredevil also has an acute sense of touch which apparently gives him great strength and balance. Quite how this works is never really expanded upon but it's there I guess.
- Superhuman Agility and Reflexes: Tying into the above point about his sense of balance being improved Daredevil is an incredibly agile individual, able to perform a standing backflip, balance and fight on top of a rocking see-saw and easily leap around the rooftops of Manhatten. He often uses his agility in combat, performing flips to dodge attacks and jumping around the area to attack from different angles. He also has great reflexes, being able to avoid bullets, blades and other projectiles being thrown at him. His sense of hearing helps in this regard as he can hear projectiles coming long before they get close making dodging them much easier.
- Superhuman Strength: Daredevil has shown some degree of superhuman strength as shown when he fought on par with the superhumanly strong Kingpin and was able to break his kneecaps with a single kick.
- Skilled Hand to Hand Combatant: Daredevil is highly skilled in close quarters combat, able to beat an entire bar full of people singlehandedly. He is also able to fight on par with skilled fighters such as Elektra, Bullseye and Kingpin, overcoming the latter two despite being badly injured.
Catwoman is the alter-ego of Patience Phillips. A meek and submissive advert designer for Hedare Beauty, Patience accidentally stumbled upon the truth behind Hedare's line of skin cream, that it causes dangerous side effects with prolonged use. After being caught listening in she is chased into a conduit pipe and to stop her revealing what she knows she is sealed in and flushed out, killing her via drowning. However she is brought back to life by an Egyptian Mau Cat and given superhuman powers, based around the physiology of a cat. With a new found confidence Patience decides she wants to find out who was behind her "murder" and uncover the secrets of Hedare Beauty.
- Whip: Catwoman's main weapon is a whip. It is several feet long and appears to be made of some sort of leather material. Catwoman uses the weapon in several ways such as disarming her opponents of their weapons, swinging around and area or as a directly offensive weapon.
- Cat Claws: Catwoman also has diamond cat claws build into her uniform which she uses to slash and claw at her opponents.
Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Agility and Speed: Catwoman's most prominent physical trait is her superhuman agility. Catwoman is able to leap great distances and has been shown jumping up to the second story of a building from a standing position. She can also appear to run up and across walls with ease and effortlessly manoeuvre herself around her environment. Catwoman is also remarkably quick, able to snatch a gun out of someone's hand before they can react and dodge bullets. In combat Catwoman often makes use of her agility, performing acrobatic kicks and flips and easily dodging punches. Much like a cat she will always land on her feet even when falling from a great height, as shown when she jumped out of a four story building and landed unharmed.
- Superhuman Strength: Catwoman also appears to have a degree of superhuman strength and has been shown kicking down a door with a kick and throwing a grown person through the air.
- Enhanced Senses: Catwoman also received enhanced senses after her revival. Like a cat she has excellent night vision and is able to spot a tiny bolt coming loose from a distance away. Her hearing is sensitive enough that she can hear a bug walking across sand or hear the sounds of a break in from the other side of a building.
- Master of Stealth: By making use of her ability and speed, Catwoman is accomplished at stealth. She has been shown easily breaking into heavily crowded areas without being noticed and when cornered is easily able to give her pursuers the slip and was even able to sneak out of a crowded police station.
- Skilled Hand to Hand Combatant: Despite only having her powers a short time Catwoman is still a skilled fighter. She has been shown easily fighting off multiple jewel robbers at the same time and overpowering and defeating trained policemen and bodyguards.
Daredevil has years of experience as a vigilante in Hell's Kitchen, regularly fighting gangsters, muggers and other criminals. He also has some experience against skilled Assassins such as Bullseye, trained fighters like Elektra and borderline superhumans like the Kingpin. Catwoman's experience is only over a few days and while she does battle both hired thugs and policemen she lacks any experience against other trained fighters or superhumans.
Generally neither Daredevil nor Catwoman try to kill their opponents but Daredevil is considerably more brutal as to how he puts down his opponents being perfectly willing to break bones and badly crippled his opponents. He has even left a man to die on a train-track after crippling him, although this may have partly been because he was still recovering from being temporarily put out of action by a train going past. Catwoman never does anything worse than knocking a person out or clawing them a bit and even tried to save Laurel Hedare from falling to her death after she tried to murder catwoman on several occasions.
Daredevil is fairly basic when it comes to his fighting style which mostly revolves around his billy club or his own hand to hand skills and tends to try and brute force his way through things. Catwoman meanwhile is a bit more versatile in how she operates, making use of her environment and improvising weapons out of things she finds in said environment. She is also more likely to use either stealth or brute force depending on what the scenario requires instead of using the same approach each time.
Battle takes place in a museum exhibit and the streets around it.
Battle is set after both the Daredevil and Catwoman movies.
In order to be counted in full, votes must be at least 5 lines long or have been done in an edge format.
Anything less than 5 lines but which is competently argued and thought out will be counted as a half vote. I will inform anybody if their vote is considered a half vote and allow them to amend it to bring it up to a full point.
Irrelevant votes will not be counted at all.
I reserve the right to award a vote as half or discount it entirely for reason not mentioned here if I feel it is applicable.
The sounds of the city rush over Matt Murdoch as he perches on top of an apartment block. They are familiar to him now; the footsteps of people walking by, car horns blaring as they weave through the crowded roads and pulsing beats of music blaring from the rooms below. For the man they call Daredevil these noises are nothing interesting what he is listening out for is cries for help or the sounds of a struggle, anything that might require his intervention. It is not long before he hears what he is looking for, the shrill piercing screech of an alarm system being tripped. Homing in on the location of the noise he rushes across the rooftops, dropping down to street level gradually as he does. He finds the building the alarm is coming from, mere moments before the alarm stops blaring. The constant sounds of the streets help create the picture of the surrounding area and he realises he is at one of the nearby museums. He remembers Foggy talking about how an exhibit of rare Egyptian jewellery had recently arrived with the unveiling of them for the public happening tomorrow. Taking out his billy club, Daredevil looks for a way into the museum.
Catwoman hurriedly searches through all the exhibits, knowing her time frame for stealing them has been cut massively short after tripping the alarm system. Her eyes are drawn to the other rare exhibits as she passes them but her heart is set on the necklace and rings, she saw pictured in the news article. She finally finds them, centre of the Egyptian history portion of the museum, glistening in the moonlight. She cuts a small round hole in the glass with her claws, carefully reaching in and taking the jewellery which, she stuffs into a small bag looped over her shoulder. Ready to leave she finds herself face to face with Daredevil.
“Looks like somebody couldn’t wait for the unveiling?” he says sarcastically.
“I couldn’t help having something so purrrfect,” Catwoman says.
“You know I can’t let you have those right?”
“Oh, that’s a shame because I’m going to be taking them anyway.” Catwoman unfurls her whip and lashes out with it but Daredevil is quick to dodge it. Undeterred she swings it around for another slash but again this is easily dodged. Getting annoyed now she lashes out for a third time and this time she connects, wrapping the whip around Matt’s forearm. This was his plan all along though and he grabs onto the whip with his hand and gives it a sharp tug, pulling Catwoman forwards and off balance. He then flips into the air, driving a kick downwards as he descends and connecting with his opponent, slamming her face first onto the floor.
Catwoman rolls into a crouch, snarling at Daredevil before launching herself at him. She tackles him to the floor, swiping viciously at him with her claws. Grimacing as they cut into his skin, Daredevil moves his feet up between them and shoves her away. She launches herself at him again but this time he is prepared and manages to stay on his feet, holding her off. She kicks him in the stomach and spins under his follow up punch and tries to sweep his legs out from underneath him. He jumps over the sweep and strikes out with his billy club, rapping it against Catwoman’s head. She hisses in pain and goes for another kick but this is blocked with the club. The next several kicks and punches are also blocked by the club and when he sees his opportunity he strikes, jabbing it into her stomach to make her hunch over before driving a kick of his own into her face. Catwoman is sent crashing into one of the display cabinets, shattering the glass. “You’ll need to do better than that in order to beat me in a fight,” Matt says mockingly.
“Okay then. Lemme try the remix,” Catwoman says sassily. Snatching up some of the broken glass she whirls around and flings it at Daredevil. The shards cut deep into his face and he cries out in pain, his hands going to his face to pick the pieces out. Catwoman uses this opportunity to make a break for it, hobbling away with the jewellery. Ignoring the vent, she uses to sneak in she instead goes to the nearest door, busting it down with a kick and stepping out into the night. Looking around the largely empty carpark she picks out one of the cars and goes over to it. Smashing the driver side window, she opens the door from the inside and gets to work on hotwiring the car. She smiles as the engine revs and as she sits up in the seat, she sees Daredevil stepping through the doorway. She slams her foot down on the acceleration and Daredevil flips his billy club up into his hand.
The sound waves from the engine give Matt a clear picture of the area and when he throws the club the accuracy is spot on and it smashes through the windscreen, smacking Catwoman on the head and causing her to swerve the car into the wall. As she stumbles out in a daze, Daredevil moves in to finish her off. She tries to throw a punch but her vision is still rocking from the crash and she misses completely. Daredevil grabs her arm and wrenches it violently, the snapping of the bone amplified by his hearing. Patience screams in agony and clutches at her broken arm but the pain is short lived as Matt drives his foot into her face, knocking her unconscious. His keen ears pick up the sound of police sirens approaching and he takes out his grapple gun, swinging off into the city to stop his next crime.
While both were strong on the physical side of things Daredevil massively outclassed Catwoman in both experience and calibre of opponents faced. Catwoman’s only real experience was against hired thugs and one brief fight against another superhuman, which was nothing on the years of fighting criminals Daredevil had as well as having bested assassins like Bullseye and superhumans like the Kingpin.